PMBOK defines project as a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product or service. A unique process, comprising of coordinated and controlled activities with start and finish dates, to achieve an objective conforming to specific requirements, including constraints of schedule, cost and resources (ISO 10006).
- Projects may be of to build a carpet road, motorway, airport, schools, college etc.
- Launch of space shuttle is consists of multiple projects.
- Construction, erection of pumps, boilers and commissioning of power plant are projects.
- Research on a specific area could be considered as research projects to draw conclusions.
Difference Between Project and Operations:
Activities such as product manufacturing, routine maintenance of equipment’s in an industry and the routine work that is performed is an organization is defined as operations. Operations are repetitive, routine and ongoing activities while projects are temporary and unique. Operational activities continues till the life of the company or the organizations. For example, launch of new model or special features car is a project, but routine activities like assembling of different parts of is considered as operational activity.
For example, launch of new model or special features car is a project, but routine activities like assembling of different parts of is considered as operational activity.
Is Taj Mahal a Project
No, Taj Mahal is not a project. Taj Mahal was project during construction phase of around 17years from 1631 to 1648. When this phase of Taj Mahal was ended when it was officially handed over to Shah Jehan. Now a day, Taj Mahal is a visiting place and world heritage site which attracts tourists, visitors, architectural researchers across the world. Taj Mahal could not be declared as a project due to following reasons:
- According to PMI project is a temporary endeavor which have a definite time of completion, Taj Mahal was completed in 1648, project phase ended.
- After 1648, Taj Mahal is in operation phase, managing tourists/visitors, routine maintenance doesn’t fall in the category of projects, it belongs to operations management because it has no set end point/time.
- Projects resulted in unique output while operations are repetitive activities, daily activities like managing tourists/visitors etc. Operations don’t produce anything new (construction of new Taj Mahal), but they are necessary activities to maintain and sustain existing Taj Mahal.